The LeFrak Class of the Month Essay Contest invites New York City students in grades 3-12 to submit essays about their Museum visit to the LeFrak Family Gallery where they can experience Mummies.
Student essay word length cannot exceed 200-250 words.
Refer to the Essay Scoring Rubric provided in the entry packet for additional essay requirements.
Student work must be done on the Student Entry Sheet provided in the Entry Packet and must have students’ name clearly printed in the space provided on each page.
When submitted, the Entry Packet must include work from all students that participated in the field trip.
When submitted, the Entry Packet must include a class roster.
The entry form must be signed by both the teacher and the principal.
Essay Contest Judging
Student work must use the relevant grade level specific templates and rubric parameters included in the teacher information packet.
Entries will be judged by:
- adherence to contest rules
- essays will be judged using the grade specific rubric included in your teacher materials packet.
Winning Entries and Prizes
All winners will be announced at the end of the contest cycle.
Class of the Month winners will:
- Be invited to a special end-of-school year celebration at the Museum for students and their families from the winning school
- Receive a classroom visit from a Museum Educator during which your class will be presented with a certificate and a classroom library set of non-fiction science books worth $2000
- Have selected winning essays published on the Museum’s Website
The American Museum of Natural History gratefully acknowledges the LeFrak family’s commitment to supporting scientific and cultural understanding among the school children, educators, and families of New York City through the Richard and Karen LeFrak Charitable Foundation, Inc.